EAC

AHK logo

The Electricity Authority of Cyprus (EAC) was founded in 1952 by the British colonial government. The 28 private electricity companies of the time were nationalized and absorbed into the EAC. The Authority never received any subsidies from the government as these have always been prohibited by law. Its head office is located in Strovolos. The EAC currently holds a near monopoly on electricity generation in Cyprus. It operates through three power stations with a total capacity of 1460 MW:

Cyprus. It operates through three power stations with a total capacity of 1460 MW:

Dhekelia Power Station - 460 MW

Moni Power Station - 150 MW

Vasilikos Power Station - 868 MW

The company also distributes electricity produced by five privately held wind farms:

Orites - 82 MW

Santa Anna - 20 MW

Alexigros - 31.5 MW

Koshi - 10.8 MW

Aeolian - 10.8 MW

Additionally, individuals, private companies, and the Government own almost 54 MW of solar panels and almost 10 MW of biofuel installations and the EAC distributes the electricity these produce too. The Authority served 559,700 customers in 2015, that is 280 per employee, up from 260 in 2014. The electricity sales per employee reached 2.02 GWh, up from 1.83 GWh in 2014.